Monday, June 20, 2022

Is it Racism or?

 This is one of my old posts but still relevant


The incidents in Delhi, Gurgaon and Banlore make me feel so ashamed..are we living in a progressive society where people are killed for not speaking their language.
One of my friend said that people should blend..fine..thats very good if they blend, its to their advantage only..like if I dont know tamil, I am at a loss and miss so many things but in what way I am harming locals I fail to understand...why this compulsion to learn their language?

Are we becoming dictators and telling the people to behave...and behave in such a way, otherwise you cant live here..what sort of society we are going to make?...why not be tolerant of difference and celebrate..there is so much beauty in diversity, why people want a homogeneous society..it would be so boring..

Do all the people who go outside the country blend so much?..Dont they make a mini India outside..and we revel in that..so why such a big cry for everything in your own country?and then we say we are educated..sorry we are not..we are just literates..education makes us open minded...

I have lived in many states of India, and everywhere..local people had their own group and sometimes some people included me, some did not..I never felt offended or anything, because its natural to feel more comfortable among your own types, but that doesnt mean we should be intolerant of others..why dont you eat south Indian/north Indian food..or live like locals..why should some one change his/her own culture and habits..it should be their own choice...

North has 5 states..but they are all clubbed as north Indians.. and I never felt anything amiss.so what..
But the same thing in south is a issue..

I find many things worth emulating in south and I appreciate them,with that I miss so many things of north also here..Every Place has its own pros and cons..and as an aware person if we can take the good from them, we shall be enriching ourselves....

And then we blame other societies like whites for racism whereas we do the same in our country, we hardly treat equally and differentiate between people for multiple reasons.. like religion, caste money and complexion etc etc

More degrees we take, more racial we become...may be we are better off uneducated..go to the villages, they are cordial to everybody...

6 comments:

SG said...

I understand what you are saying. You wrote “if I don’t know Tamil I am at a loss and miss so many things but in what way I am harming locals”. You are right so far. But living in Tamil Nadu and if you insist on speaking in Hindi only and want others to reply to you In Hindi is pure arrogance. For example, a few (not all) workers in Adyar Ananda Bhavan who are from North talk to the customers in Hindi and want reply from Hindi only.

Imagine a Tamil waiter in a restaurant in New Delhi or Chandigarh speak to a customer in Tamil only and want them to reply in Tamil only! Why is the compulsion to learn their language? What would be the reaction of the New Delhi or Chandigarh customer to a Tamil only speaking waiter who wants their reply only in Tamil?

Renu said...

SG: I agree.. nobody should insist and it’s the duty of employers to keep people who know local language. I feel bad only when people become aggressive or harm physically those who don’t know their language..Not knowing a language is a personal disadvantage and should be taken as such only.. nothing to settle scores…

Sujatha Sathya said...

education should make us open-minded - right

Renu said...

Sujatha: yes , it should but practically I have seen that it’s not so, so many uneducated people more inclusive than educated

vandy said...

Vanekkam! :)

I lived in Chennai for 1.5 years.Just once an annoying bus conductor laughed at me because of some language issue.I could not learn the language, but could learn to read, as most of the signboard were both in English and Tamil. The first word I learnt to read was 'Pallavan' and also 'Aavin'.
Cheers!

Renu said...

Vandy: welcome here Vandy! I always miss my time in Chennai , I loved the place.

Ajanta Ellora

 Last week we made a trip to Aurangabad. We had a direct flight from here.we stayed in Lemon tree hotel and liked it. It’s totally value for...