1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
This is the best mantra of life and brings happiness all around us, I have started doing it and it works like magic.
2. Memorize your favorite poem.
Instead of any poem I like songs:)
3. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have, or sleep all you want.
Another gem......so many times we hear something and make impressions which are far from truth, and as far as spending is concerned one must always save a substantial amount from one's earnings.Sleeping too much is bad for health and life both.
4. When you say, "I love you," mean it.
Oh.. hundred percent, I dont believe in lying in any sphere of life, I ask even my children not to give me cards where they promise me the moon, unless they can deliver:).
5. When you say, "I'm sorry," look the person in the eye.
Its two hundred percent true..sorry is one word which is used in vain all the time, people say sorry just to calm other person, they never mean it. meaning it means, not doing the same thing again, thats the best way of saying sorry,
6. Be engaged at least six months before you get married and get your parents approval.
I believe in this totally for many reasons..six months period is mandatory because it will bring your fever down and let you see the reality, and by then if you are still in love, then it is a long lasting one, and parents approval is a must as marriage as it is a very difficult relationship and cant sustain without their support.
7. Believe in love at first sight.
I dont believe in this.
8. Never laugh at anyone's dreams.
True, because one always dreams about seemingly impossible things, but perseverant people make them possible also.
9. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt, but it's the only way to live life completely.
At a time I thought that there is no point in loving anybody as we get hurt only, but then I realised its like not living, I must be my natural self..a loving person, what others give me is their persona..it must be irrelevant to me.So now I have decided to be natural the way i am always going over the top while loving, exce-t that i wont care now what theya re doing in return.
10. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.
OMG..this one takes the cake..anger most of the time brings out the worst in us, but then only our character is tested, I try to control myself and whenever I have lost it, I have regretted it.
11. Don't judge people by their relatives.
Of course how can we?
12. Talk slow but think quick.
I talk very fast and so is my thinking quick:)
13. When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, "Why do you want to know?"
so true when someone asks you about salary?
14. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
15. Call your Mom.
Oh yes, I call my mom regularly, and so does my daughter, its my son who is irregular:).sometimes too much, sometimes too little.
16. Say "bless you" when you hear someone sneeze.
17. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
I learn everyday with everything and everybody something or the other.
18. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
True.specially with the children, they want autonomy in the family:) but rarely perpared to take the consequences:)
19. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship
But with me it happens....trying to change....
20. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
That I am very prompt in... saying sorry..which I mean and making amends, no verbal sorries for me.
21. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice
....Yeah, whenever I call my family, and if they reply in slow voices , I get unsettled.
22. Marry someone you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other skill.
This is what I told my son about how to choose a girl:)..(of course it shouldnt be the main quality:)
23. Spend time alone
Me time is very important to me.
24. Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.
25. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
Even I think so.
26. Read more books and watch less TV
I follow this religiously....dont like TV much except for movies. give me books any time.
27. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll get to enjoy it a second time.
28. Trust in God, but lock your car.
certainly..God is not a watchman for us:)
29. A loving atmosphere in your home is so important. Do all you can to create a tranquil harmonious home.
I cant even live with strife in the family.
30. In disagreements with loved ones, deal with the current situation; don't bring up the past.
This is one of the best advice..as most of time fighting people go so far in blaming that they forget the point even they were fighting about.Earlier I was also guilty of this, now trying to learn.
31. Read between the lines.
sometimes it is good, and sometimes it is bad also.Reading too much bings strees(between the lines of course:)
32. Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
Doing that presently:)
33. Be gentle with the earth.
Then only we can use it.
34. Pray -- there's immeasurable power in it.
Prayer can bring miracles.
35. Never interrupt when you are being flattered.
Flattery is also good to hear sometimes:)
36. Mind your own business.
This one is so true..interference anywhere is not good, lead your own life.
37. Don't trust someone who doesn't close their eyes when you kiss them.
38. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
now will start this tradition.
39. If you make a lot of money, put it to use helping others while you are living. That's wealth's greatest satisfaction.
I dont make a lot of money but still want to help others.
40. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.
That i know, because there is a saying in Hindi..khuda ganjey ko nakhoon nahi deta......God is always great and he knows better than us what we need.
41. Learn the rules then break some.
I believe in living by rules, no rule breaking for me.
42. Remember that the best relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.
Trying to understand this....true with children, difficult with a spouse:)
43. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
44. Remember that your character is your destiny.
Then I have a good destiny:)..character is one thing even I give the utmost importance in life.
45. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
Yeah:) I do lot of cooking for my family and love them more than I should.
46. Realize that as you get older, you are not approaching death, but heaven.
That I have realised and I dont fear death and even if today i die I wouldnt have any regrets, I would die a happy person.